Old 23-03-2012, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default How long to leave bed with fresh manure?

Baz wrote in
:

wrote in :

My wife dug in some fresh horse manure into a bed last September or
so, would it be OK to put some onions in the bed now?

In general is this a sensible thing to do or should it *always* be
rotted down? We have horses on our land adjacent to the vegetable
plot so it's always somewhat tempting to 'go direct'! :-)

I think I am right in saying that fresh horse manure is great for
'woody' plants, shrubs and trees because they are, well, woody.
A vegetable has less than that, in fact tender stalks, and the
fermentation of manure can reach high temperatures and kill or at
least burn them. I would urge you not to put any veg in there until a
more knowledeable gardener from this group advises otherwise.

I envy you for your very local supply. It needs composting/rotting for
at least a year though IMO.

Good luck and my best wishes Chris.
Baz

Please forget my words above, Sacha(who knows about these things)replied
during the time it took me to write.

Same best wishes Chris.
Baz