Old 23-03-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default How long to leave bed with fresh manure?

On 2012-03-23 09:46:41 +0000, said:

My wife dug in some fresh horse manure into a bed last September or
so, would it be OK to put some onions in the bed now?

In general is this a sensible thing to do or should it *always* be
rotted down? We have horses on our land adjacent to the vegetable
plot so it's always somewhat tempting to 'go direct'! :-)

As it's been in since September, it's probably rotted down by now,
especially if you've had frosty weather. What you need to check with the
owners of the field is whether they use herbicides and if so, which one.
This is why:
http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden-d...killing-crops/
People are very aware of the problem now but there may still be some
using weed killers containing aminopyralid

Does the group know about similar treatments? We dug in some alpaca poo
around October and it's still very recognisable as what it was when we
dug it in. I was hoping it would dissolve into the soil and fade from my
memory. I'm not very good at removing the association of poo and food.

Thanks, Rob