Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Clematis wilt

"Aileen Howard" wrote in
:

Help, my clematis has wilted. Does anyone have any emergency first
aid for this please? None of my gardening books is of any help, and
as it was a birthday present last year, I do want to keep it if
possible.

Cut off all the affected stems to the base and bin (do not compost).

Now water lots. Once new shoots start to emerge, feed, and go on watering.
You could give it a good mulch as well.

You are unlucky if it's got the wilt this early - perhaps its this long run
of dry weather. I have one in a pot that usually ends up getting the wilt
in the end, but usually not till the late summer, when I have already had
the benefit of the flowers.

I find the 'cut it down and pamper' regime works well, though really I
suppose I should plant it out somewhere where the roots would be less at
risk of drying out.

Don't assume it's dead if there are no living stems showing. Often it will
take a while for the roots to regroup and start shooting again, but the
plant is still alive underneath.

Oh, snails and slugs may take advantage and chomp the young shoots if you
are watering lots, so watch out.

The thing about 'roots in shade' you get in the books is a bit of a myth -
it's just roots in shade tend to stay damper longer. Roots in sun seems to
be OK, but you need to water/mulch more to compensate.

Victoria