Old 23-03-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Growing saw palmetto in Southern England?

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

Has anyone tried growing saw palmetto in England (outdoors)?
I'm in the South Coast. Weather is very warm in Summer and we may get
a few nights of light frost in winter. It gets a tad windy here
sometimes, being on the coast.

AKA Serenoa repens. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmetto.
Mentioned in 'Gardening on the Edge', Philip Browse Ed., p.93, as
having been tried at Lamorran House, http://tinyurl.com/7zw6qf2, a
steeply sloping garden right on the coast at St. Mawes, on the east
side of the Fal estuary opposite Falmouth. They grow a wide range of
semi-hardy and tender palms there, but according to Browse, they've
not been successful with Saw Palmetto. If they can't grow it, I doubt
if you'll manage it, but there's no harm in trying. I'm all in favour
of people pushing their luck when it comes to tender plants. Expect
failure, but be really pleased occasionally!

Thanks.. yes it does look a bit hopeless. I can't find the plants for sale
here either (which tells me something...)

Al