Old 25-03-2012, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

kay wrote in news:kay.9bf50f6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Jake;951978 Wrote:

Something with a tree canopy that's at least 6' above ground, no more
than 6' above that but 16' in diameter is going to look like an alien
mutation.

I've got a cherry tree that matches that. Except that the 16ft is mainly
to one side of the trunk. And it would look like an alien mutation if it
were free standing. (Fortunately, it's growing over the roof of the
terrace).

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly
weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I
managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each
year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only
horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

I thiink a semi-weeping tree ia the answer. Can anyone suggest a quick-
growing semi-weeping cherry that grows to a maximum of 18ft and produces
plenty of quality cherries?

Al