Old 25-03-2012, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Composting Grass Cuttings

Now that the lawn mowing season has arrived, I thought I would pass on
my experience of the last few years.

If you read about composting grass, you are told to tear newspaper into
strips and mix it with the clippings. My technique is just to spread a
layer of single sheets of newspaper on top of the heap, then add about
2-3 inches of clippings, then more newspaper etc. I limit this to about
6 inches depth without any other compostable material.

This works a treat for me with no wet sloppy lumps of compressed
uncomposted grass cuttings, and is much easier than tearing up paper!

I would add that I work on a two year composting system, so there is
plenty of time.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales