Old 25-03-2012, 11:33 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromore View Post
Hi,

I just join today after doing a Google search for Thuja Green Giant.
What a wonderful site, so glad to have joined, just sad i didnt find it sooner.

Anyways, i've was told about Green Giant in person by a friend at work. They didnt seem to know to much about it but only the answer i was looking for... "Need a conifer/shrub/hedge that goes super fast and is also hardy"
I've done a bit of a search on Google as i said to learn a little more about it, and the thing i noticed the most is that there is no place that tends to stocks the Green Giant here in the UK.
I would love to get a couple (maybe more) as i am in badly need for a fast growing tall plant as the neighbours have mention they plan to cut down their hedge in a few years time. So when they do there will be a massive gap left and very less privacy.

Could anyone help me out a little more on this. Is Green Giant grown in the UK, are they available to even buy here? And if so, could someone please link me to a recommended site to buy from.
I went to my local garden nursery this morning to find nothing and i have searched online garden nurseries and again, to no joy

Thank you for your time
David
Hi David, Personally I havent heard of 'green giant' over here in the UK ! but theres a couple of points I'd like to make. If you cant find that particular cultivar, be aware that if you go for 'western red cedar' Thuja plicata. then please make sure that you buy plants that have been grown from cuttings and not from seed !! This means that (like leylandii) every plant will be identical
Prior to the popularity of Leylands cypress we used to use either Thuja or Cham. lawsoniana but the seed raised ones showed huge variation in habit, which meant that it was very hard to get a neat even screen and thats why the Leylandii became very popular.
regards, Lannerman.