Old 26-03-2012, 09:47 AM
neiloh neiloh is offline
Registered User

Location: Leeds, W Yorkshire

To answer your questions...

I live in Leeds, W Yorks and don't currently have a clue what kind of soil I have. Will get a testing kit and find out.

We don't really want to get too much from our garden initially, just have a half decent lawn area with a few nice looking plants/trees to brighten it up a bit. I will be putting in a rotary dryer at some point soon. We will eventually look to flatten the lawn (there is a slight incline at the moment) and split it into two sections with a decked area to replace the awful paving slabs we have inherited, but that will be a couple of years at least. Got plenty of projects within the house to tackle first!

The plastic fence is our neighbours and seems pretty strong, standing approx 4/5ft high. B&Q call it a composite fence. The concrete fence is exactly the same but made of concrete. To avoid potential problems with the fence I was planning on erecting something to run very close alongside it from which we could do what we want. I was thinking that initially it would be wires or canes or even a trellis until the plants/trees are established.

I think what I have in my vague mind’s eye is an espalier (?) running the majority of the length of the fence. I assume this may be too hopeful for the shaded area so would welcome any suggestions anyone may have. Is it possible to train all kinds of trees as I have only really seen fruit trees as espaliers so far. The Mrs really likes cherry blossom/clematis/jasmine so I was considering planting a few along the length of the fence with some smaller plants underneath. However, I have thought that more long term these may get a bit too big and unmanageable. Any thoughts?

I am hoping to surprise the Mrs when she goes away for a few days then comes back to find we have a nice garden. Or at least can't see the naff wonky fence.

Thanks again for your replies.