Old 21-04-2003, 01:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles?

Jerri,
had the chance to have a good look at the front of the fish today - basking
in the sun just under the water hawthorn leaves - and I can see no barbels
even though the fish is now around 9 inches long (perhaps more).
So probably it is a shub.
Cheers
Dave R

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Jerri,
they were sold to us by an aquatic centre as Shubunkin so I think they

are -
will go barbel spotting and report back :-)
Dave R
"Jerrispond" wrote in message
Are you positive you have a shubunkin, and not a koi? Koi eat tadpoles.

In my
yard I have a koi pond, and a goldfish pond....lots of tadpoles in

goldfish
pond, and none in koi pond, even though many large frogs live in

it...This
would also explain why it is larger than the others.....the ONLY way for

novice to tell the difference is the koi has barbels ( whiskers) and

while
under 6 or 8 inches they are sometimes very hard to see.......Jerri