Old 27-03-2012, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sean Straw Sean Straw is offline

Default more pics

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 02:05:20 -0400, songbird
wrote:

pictures last year from the roof: (the jungle
is the bean patch, it's looking much different
these days).

picture 10/13 ? Is the jungle you refer to in the low centre, or back
next to the tree line? If low centre, looks like you're growing bush
beans (but I lack any scale indicators - they could be 2' tall, or 4'
for all I know) -- try some pole varieties sometime if you want a real
"jungle" - and an abundance of fresh beans.

I have a support structure I easily made out of 1/2" "EMT" (Electrical
Metal Conduit - the rigid tubing stuff). 10 foot lengths are
available at homecentres here for about US$2 apiece, and five ($10)
will make one 10' tall x 10' long support structure, ten makes two of
those (duh! g), and just ONE more tube, and a pair of unions allows
you to have an additional run in between, so 11 lengths of EMT, plus
two unions (about $24 all told), provides 30 feet of row support. I
make wooden "sandwiches" from some exterior ply and a few scraps of
lumber cut to 1/2" wide to make holders for the legs, with a hole
through the top for the horizontal support. Support sisal twine over
the horizontal, and the beans grow crazy with the space.