View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 28-03-2012, 07:50 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly440 View Post
I've had this plant for many years, but now the stalk/stem/cane is dying...actually dead already, I think. How can I save the 6-7 plants growing from the main cane before I lose the entire plant?

I'm quite good with plants and I have had houseplants for many, many years, but I don;t know how to save this one. I mean I know it is too late for the main cane.
Plant the removed tops of the dracaena plant to grow a new plant. Plant the tops in well-drained but moistened potting soil. The cutting produces its own roots quickly, allowing you to save the foliage removed from the old plant. Cutting the stems to different heights provides foliage at levels of the plant.

D. marginata roots easily from root tip cuttings. It takes about three weeks for a cutting to sprout roots, and rooting hormone isn’t generally necessary. Refresh potting soil annually with fresh soil to replace any that has compacted. Allow the plants to dry between waterings, but not completely. These are more susceptible to root rot, so be very careful never to allow them to sit in water.