Old 28-03-2012, 09:21 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GreenThumb View Post
Thanks Lannerman.
There's no real sentimental value, its just seemed a shame for it to be binned.
I'll have a look at how you cut it back and also try the method you suggested.
A few questions though, what is 'air layer a branch' and 'wound it through a leaf joint'.
Looking at some healthy rubber plants, on-line, they look quite nice.
Hi, then just cut it back now ! The air layering I mentioned is a way of creating new plants from an existing one by encouraging roots to form inside a bag of peat wrapped around the stem about 12inches from the growing tip but you wont need to bother with this as I'm sure yours will shoot from the base. One final thing, leave one of the lower branches complete (without pruning it) this will act as a 'sap drawer' until the pruned branches have made new shoots, then you can remove this one as well !
regards, lannerman.