Old 28-03-2012, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Automated irragation

tigerlily24 wrote:

I hoping someone can help me. We've got a little courtyard with raised
beds. It's so small I thought it'd be great if we could divert all the
lovely rain water from the roof on it's way down to earth. I'm intending
to install a water butt to the down pipe. My question is: would it be
possible to supply a timed irrigation system from the butt which
switched to the mains if the water ran out?

To be perfectly honest for a "little" courtyard that's "so small" it
wouldn't be worth the time, effort, and expense to automate watering
for a couple of raised beds... I strongly suggest using a garden hose
betwixt the times it rains directly into your beds... diverting water
from your roof tops would probably be enough to drown your beds and
your entire system... unless one resides in an arid clime I don't see
the point.