Old 29-03-2012, 08:58 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Hi,

I live in a rented house with no garden, just a large concreted area. I would love to introduce some small trees into this space, but not sure what. Does anyone have any suggestions of what could do well in a decent sized container? A friend of mine has a twisted willow that's thrived for five years, but other than that I'm clueless. The area is reasonably sheltered on all sides and gets full sun for most of the day.

Cheers in advance!

Hi Joe, within reason you could grow just about anything you fancy in a large container so I'd suggst you visit a nursery/garden centre and have a look at whats available. Firstly decide on what 'look' you want and maybe decide on a theme, ie- maybe a mediteranean theme with palms, phormiums, lavenders etc
Its a very personal thing deciding what to have but the nice thing with gardening is, if it looks good to you then thats fine !
There are a few pointers to bear in mind, make sure that the containers are large enough so that tall plants like trees are not continually blowing over and getting damaged - leave a good gap between the compost and the rim of the pot to allow for watering - water and feed well during the growing season- be prepared to regularly prune to get nice bushy plants.
What I've done in the past is to choose plants that have good foliage colour and or contrasting texture, then the area will look nice all the time. Think about having groups of various sized containers with a mixture of tall,bushy and foliage colour plants grouped together, this way, you have the option of changing the groupings around to give differing effects.
Obviously there may be a limited budget you can throw at this, so have a look around and get lots of ideas and then you wont go far wrong.
regards, lannerman.