Old 30-03-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Potted trees

"JoeP" wrote in message

Hi,

I live in a rented house with no garden, just a large concreted area. I
would love to introduce some small trees into this space, but not sure
what. Does anyone have any suggestions of what could do well in a decent
sized container? A friend of mine has a twisted willow that's thrived
for five years, but other than that I'm clueless. The area is reasonably
sheltered on all sides and gets full sun for most of the day.

Cheers in advance!

The trees/shrubs I am currently growing in containers a

(1) Brown Turkey fig - deciduous - produces several nice figs most years.
Had it for years and it is still small.
(2) Olive - evergreen and produces a decent crop of small olives every year.
Very attractive to look at.
(3) Bay - slow growing evergreen but hardy and the leaves can be used in
cooking.
(4) Budleia - deciduous - vigorous grower which has loads of flowers which
attract butterflies and other insects. Also seeds a lot so you need to watch
for offspring in unlikely places.
(5) Lemons - but these are a bit risky if you don't protect them over
winter. Mine are pretty battered at the moment.
(6) Clematis - deciduous - need some shade for the pot, and something to
climb up such as a trellis.
(7) Roses - nice flowers, quite thirsty, probably need more care than I have
the patience for.

Almost anything will grow in a container, including fruit trees; look for
ones suitable for patios.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]