Old 30-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Eloise Eloise is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Thu, 29 Mar
Would you consider a hedge grown from Escallonia? I have about 25
yards of a mature hedge of this shrub that is usually pruned back in
my case to stay around 8 feet high. It is used to give good privacy to
screen off a public area lying beyond this border hedge around part of
our home back garden in Dundee. It is evergreen and has a slightly
fragrant resin on the leaves. Although most of the plant has dense
leaves, it does produce some smallish flowers in the summer that in my
experience do not fall to leave any significant ground debris. It does
not produce berries. Is it absolutely crucial that you have no flowers
at all? The link below gives an example of what is available and the
properties of the plants. I am not in any way endorsing any particular
merchant and I found this as an example simply by googling with
"escallonia hedge" as the key words.

Escallonia Hedging Plants for Sale Online | Mail Order | Guarantee

Apologies if this is not helpful.

Best wishes

Geoff
Hi Geoff

Many thanks for your time and information but we really need a non-flowering shrub as I am terrified of bees and wasps. Silly, I know, but true.

The Escallonia does look beautiful and looks as though it would make a beautiful hedge.

Absolutely no need to apologise, I am thrilled to have had such lovely responses. Thank you for taking the time to google a link for me, that was very kind of you and much appreciated.

Still on the lookout for an evergreen shrub, fast growing, dense, for eleven metres in length.

Thank you Geoff, nice to meet you!

Kind Regards, Eloise.