Old 30-03-2012, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] galyles@leavethisbitoutblueyonder.co.uk is offline

Default Newbie needs fast growing shrub/hedge with no flowers for boundary wall.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:09:58 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Yes, Charlie, I had read about the leaf blight problem in some places.
I don't know if it is affecting areas in Scotland yet e.g. Ayrshire
where Eloise lives, but so far I may be lucky in not appearing at the
moment to have a problem with my hedge in Dundee.

I live just off the Ayrshire coast and have seen no problems in
escallonia here.

There are tight-pruned escallonia hedges here which produce very little
flower. In any case since escallonia flowers are tube-shaped I'd think
very little pollen would be emitted (if that's what she's worried about).
It would certainly be a lot faster (and cheaper) than yew..

Janet (Arran)

Thanks, Janet. I hoped that you would enter this thread and have some
information on the experience in your location.

Geoff