Old 31-03-2012, 08:57 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloise View Post
Hello, I'm Eloise, new to the group, hi to everyone.

The old fence that was attached to my five foot boundary wall has finally fallen down. It gave us total privacy from our neighbours but cannot be replaced with a new fence due to council restrictions on height.

So, we need a fast growing evergreen that has no flowers. It needs to grow to be a dense hedge and only needs to be 5 1/2 - 6ft tall at the very most.

My husband and I are more than happy to buy plants that are already four feet (120-150cms) tall.

I do not want to plant Leylandii, we have always got on very well with our neighbours and want no disagreements. Life is too short to bicker.

We live in Arshire but sand and sea/salt air are not a problem: we have the most beautuful soil.

The shrubs/hedge would get sunlight from 8am all day long till 6ish in summer and be in a sheltered area.

May I stress again, no flowering/berry shrubs.

Thank you to everyone who might answer for your time and experience. I hope I have given enough information.

Kind Regards, Eloise
Hi Eloise, further to the very good replies, I'd like to add my thoughts. Like Charlie, I'm in West Cornwall and am also not advocating Escallonia anymore, and I agree with Sacha that I'd look at Grisellinia littoralis (but not any of the variegated forms) Its available at the size you want but I'd suggest that you put in plants about 18" to 2 ft. they will establish much better than 4ft plants and obviously they would work out alot cheaper !! Now Grisellinia does flower but relies mainly on wind for pollination so hence the flowers are green, inconspicuous and dont attract many insects !!
I'd have a look around your area and just see that it is being used and is growing well. One final point, EVERYONE wants a hedging plant that is fast growing but suddenly stops growing when it reaches 6ft, you cant have both, so be aware that anything that grows relatively quickly wont stop growing to order and will need trimming.
Hope this helps, Lannerman.