Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default White Rosmary

On 2012-04-01 11:36:42 +0100, Moonraker said:

2 weeks ago we had a lovely leg of lamb roasted with some of my
rosemary, that is in a pot by the back door. Today it is as dead as a
dodo. I had always assumed it was a drought tolerant plant, yet it
looks as though it has died from lack of water. Is that the most
likely? I had trained it up a bamboo cane, it was doing very nicely,
thank you. Sad.

Have you had a sharp frost a few nights running? They're more likely to
die of over-watering and poor drainage. We had a lovely white rosemary
we got from Olivier Filippi a few years ago but it died off in a tunnel
one winter, so I imagine they're less hardy. We had R. Montagnette.

I found it strange that it seemed to die almost instantaneously. Yes we
have had frosts every night last week, but as it has been there for over
2 years I am surprised that it has only just given up the ghost. So what
rosemary would you advise for flavouring in these climes?