Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Eloise Eloise is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Eloise, further to the very good replies, I'd like to add my thoughts. Like Charlie, I'm in West Cornwall and am also not advocating Escallonia anymore, and I agree with Sacha that I'd look at Grisellinia littoralis (but not any of the variegated forms) Its available at the size you want but I'd suggest that you put in plants about 18" to 2 ft. they will establish much better than 4ft plants and obviously they would work out alot cheaper !! Now Grisellinia does flower but relies mainly on wind for pollination so hence the flowers are green, inconspicuous and dont attract many insects !!
I'd have a look around your area and just see that it is being used and is growing well. One final point, EVERYONE wants a hedging plant that is fast growing but suddenly stops growing when it reaches 6ft, you cant have both, so be aware that anything that grows relatively quickly wont stop growing to order and will need trimming.
Hope this helps, Lannerman.
Hi Lannerman

Thank you very much for your reply. One of our main worries is that we're trying to have privacy for next year, thus the larger plants and price, but trying to establish them and keep them healthy and alive is something we're worried about - smaller plants would be ideal on our budget but...decisions, decisions...

The other worry we have that you astutely pointed out is: will we end up with a hedge that needs trimming a great deal of the time to keep it at 6ft? The last thing we want to do is have anything that looks unsightly or unkempt.

The Griselliinal littoralis that yourself and Sacha suggested sounds very interesting, I'll google some local nurseries and have a look around while on the school walk. That's great to know that it doesn't attract many insects, phew! That is is available now is also wonderful.

Many thanks for your help, Lannerman, it is very much appreciated.

Eloise