Old 21-04-2003, 03:20 PM
animaux

Default Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds

Invest in cedar posts and they will last at least 12 years with no treatment.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:52:49 GMT, pgh wrote:

Hi!

I am looking for a practical way to prolong the life
of the wood frame in the raise beds I will start building
pretty soon.

"Practical" means relatively easy to obtain, not too
expensive, and easy to apply (eg, by painting, but not
something that requires special skills).

We want to grow edibles there, so whatever we use has to
be non-toxic. The guy at a local hardware store suggested
boiled linseed oil, and couldn't think of any other
product (among those that the store offers).

I know in the past this question has been asked and I
jotted down some of the responses: use appropriate wood to
start with (white cypress, cedar, red oak), then apply
either Henry Asphalt Emulsion or thick marine paint or
rubberizing coating.

I will appreciate if you can share any relevant experience
or information on the subject. I am particularly interested
in the viability of boiled linseed oil since that's what
I have been able to find locally.

Thanks!