Old 21-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Kim

Default Above ground or below it?

As a newbie with roses, I am still in the "hunt and learn" stages when it comes
to things about roses and planting them and caring for them. I think of
something related to roses and off I go through Google, seeing what I can find
about that subject.

On Saturday I did what many of y'all admit to doing -- saw a boxed rose and was
unable to resist taking it home. I was at the local agricultural co-op and
couldn't resist a J&P "Cherish" I saw. I told myself, "It would fit your
gardening scheme *much* better than the Baby Grand you have coming in any
day..."

OK, now "Cherish" is sitting outside, waiting for the others (in containers)
from S&W Greenhouse to arrive before anyone gets planted. So I'm out there
online running around, reading here, reading web pages, reading all kinds of
stuff, and getting quite a few bits of conflicting info!

Hence the title -- Should a bare root rose be planted with the bud union ABOVE,
or BELOW, ground level in zone 6? I've seen instructions for anywhere fron 2"
below the ground to at ground level or 1" or 2" above it. From reading what
you folks are saying over the past few days I've read the group, I'd think
'below' is the right answer...but how far below?

And if I have to wait several more days to plant it, where should it be kept in
the meantime? Outdoors...if so, in sun or shade? Indoors...on a porch with
windows, or in a dark shed or garage?

A better sense of what and how to do it with a boxed/bagged rose in zone 6
would be greatly appreciated. :-)

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis