Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Blueberry Bushes

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:14:53 +0000, JonnyBeBad wrote:

I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one
more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and
therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites
that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does
anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2
different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season
cropper and a late cropper.

I have 8 bushes of several different varieties. The important thing
with
blueberries is to come up with an effective netting scheme, if you
don't
you won't get any. Birds love blueberries and they will strip the buses
clean in a few hours if you don't have a really good netting system.

You should get two different ones. And you need acid soil.

PH 5.5 - 6.5

--
E Pluribus Unum

Ph for highbush should be 4.5-5, rabbiteye 4.8-5.3. Anything over 5.5 is
too basic. The plants may survive but they will not thrive.
Steve