Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Making bird-scarers from old CDs...

On 2 Apr 2012 10:28:02 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I'm thinking of making some CD bird scarers to keep the birds off my
seedlings. Has anyone found this effective? Can you offer any tips on how
best to costruct the said scarers? I imagine they would be most effective
if they are free to swivel and spin with the least amount of air movement,
yes?

Many thanks,

Al

Have a look at
http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950652_...s-old-cds.html

Works better if you stick two back to back so shiny sides out as it's
the light reflective effect that seems to work most. However, IME
birds get used to them and will eventually ignore them. If you move
them about now and again they seem to become scared again for a while.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.