Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ragnar[_2_] Ragnar[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato seeds from supermarket toms?

On Apr 2, 1:26*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Jim xzy" wrote in message

. 4.11...

Would I get a crop of tomatoes if I simply use the seeds from a
supermarket
tomato? If so, do they need to be dried out first, or can you sow them
while still moist, plucked straight from the fruit?

TIA

Jim

We have done this for quite a number of years. My wife, a gardener for over
50 years like to experiment and try new ideas. She dries them out on kitchen
paper then depending on the time of year, keeps them safe until next Spring
or sows them straight away. This practice/experiment started when she really
loved some Cherry Toms we had from Safeway/Morrisons.

Don't forget, you can't destroy Tomato Seeds, they even come out the other
side of the Sewerage Treatment plant ;-)

Mike

Tomatoes are sometimes found in the 'wild', especially on river banks
downstream of sewage outfalls. I remember seeing some plants growing
on an island in the middle of the River Taff during a drought year.
Eventually the rains came and the island disappeared, and the hoped-
for crop with it.
R.