Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Eloise Eloise is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
My understanding (which may be wrong) is that if you are constructing a new fence, you need planning permission once it's over 2m (which is over 6ft). Therefore, the 5ft restriction sounds strange - are you in a conservation area?
Hi Kay

I'm not aware of this being a conservation area but the fence allowed to be constructed is 3ft only (2 feet less than the original boundary wall!).

I called them again this afternoon, spoke with someone else and was given the exact same information.

Everywhere I look I see boundary fences of 6ft 5" and over and these people must be willing to put in their planning app to the council, pay £165 for the assessment then pay for the fence. Or, they're putting them up without planning permission and hoping no one objects.

Personally, we'd rather put the money towards a hedge, they can't do anything about it!

Besides, after much thought, as a family we decided we'd rather help our habitat and wildlife. It's a process that's really involved the kids in the garden, they're now seeing it as not just as a place to play but as a place to help the environment so maybe the local council have done us a favour.

Many thanks for your help and avice. Kind Regards, Eloise