Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Growing Potatoes in Containers

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Mark Austin
wrote:

I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.

Once the foliage is a couple of inches above the surface of the
compost, just cover it. Repeat as necessary. The reason for covering
is that more tubers will then form on the shoots. Add the compost
gently rather than simply chucking on top of them, which could snap
them.

It's also important to keep the compost moist but not to allow it to
become waterlogged.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the east end of the temporarily damp
but still sunny Swansea Bay.