Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nomad Nomad is offline

Default Aloe Vera cuttings

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:52:24 +0100, "Nomad"
wrote:

I was given two aloe vera cuttings (rooted) and have inserted them in pots
but I don't know the watering requirements. One appears to be failing and
the other is surviving. Can someone give me some advice please?

Aloes are succulents and are adapted to hot dry climates with low
rainfall, a bit like cacti. They like a gritty, well drained compost
and plenty of sunshine. With one possible exception (Aloe Striatula),
they won't take frost. Over-watering can easily rot the roots. I would
water them say once per fortnight in the summer months, hardly at all
from October to March. Feed with a cactus fertiliser occasionally.

Many Thanks.