Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My new allotment

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 02/04/2012 23:49, Christina Websell wrote:

We haven't attacked the brambles yet. 50 yards x 15 yards at least. How
do it organically as that's the way we want to go? I suspect slash and
burn.
Now if I still had goats, not a bramble will live as they love them.

Borrow a goat?

I don't want the responsibility of borrowing a goat that will live a mile
and half from my house.

Seriously though unless you are going for Organic(TM) certification to rob
the worried well with overpriced and overpackaged imperfect fruit and veg
at the local supermarket you might as well use glyphosate to clear the
brambles followed a few weeks later by fire.

It will be more environmentally friendly in the long run than all the fuel
you will use in the minidigger doing it "Organically".

Doesn't matter. We have decided, as a family that no chemicals will touch
this land.
Unfortunately a mini-digger was required to get it in any sort of order. No
way could any human have done it, unless you have the power to dig a 1/3
acre full of brambles and nettles by yourself with a spade. We just had to
accept the mini-digger using fuel. Sorry about that.