Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_3_] Farm1[_3_] is offline

Default Earth...

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

I did manage to incubate a few eggs though and now have 2 roosters to
replace the gorgeous young fellow I lost last November.

i'm glad you got your new fellas, were they from
the previous rooster via the hens or did you get
fertilized eggs from someone else?

After he fell of his perch (literally) I saved the eggs for the next few
days and incubated them using a Hovabator borrowed form a neighbour. I set
it up in our dining room and I must say given how seldon we use tht room, it
was probably a more productive use than that room has had for years.

tough luck on the eggplant, do you usually have a
large harvest of it?

No, we don't ever have a large harvest of them because we're somewhat
marginal climate wide. I dont' ever plant more than a few plants as I'm too
mean to give them the space. We usually manage to get a few of the smaller
ones but I couldn't even manage to get them this year.

new for me this season will be okra. i have seeds
and am waiting for certain warmth well past the last
frost date.

Good luck with them. IIRC I think David H-S mentioned growing some of them
last year

We had no frosts but just not enough heat. No long stretches of extended
heat but just a few short sharp days of warmth and then back to coolish and
rain.

My poor chooks
nealry drowned though given how much water was flowing through their
pens -
I can't recall a year with so much rain.

and now heading to the rainy winter season too? or
do things normally dry out there in the winter?

Our rain is usually fairly evenly distributed throughout the year but this
year has been very different to normal. Long range forecasters are saying
it should be about average rain, but I have no idea how good their
predictions are.