Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Acacia trees - Could I grow one in Southern England?

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

I have found pictures of a tree whose shape is ideal for my needs -
namely the acacia tree, such as those illustrated he

http://tinyurl.com/79a3zha

I gather their usual habitat is in hot places such as the Middle East
and Australia. Does anyone know if one would survive and thrive in
Southern England?

Thank you,

Al

As Steve said, Acacia dealbata is the one most commonly grown in the
UK, especially down here in Cornwall, although even here a hard winter
may kill them. However, there are many different types: one of our
local nurseries lists several, see
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/cate...a&fBtnSearch=+
Go+%3E+

That's interesting - thanks..

Don't be mislead into thinking that all, or even any of them will grow
like the images in the link you posted. Most of those look African,
and as such are heavily grazed (pruned, if you like), by giraffes and
elephants. Of course, you could always keep an elephant to two in the
back garden. Plenty of manure!

I'll make a trunk call and order one up!

Al