Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] is offline

Default Acacia trees - Could I grow one in Southern England?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:37:09 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
news
On 4 Apr 2012 10:05:38 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I have found pictures of a tree whose shape is ideal for my needs -
namely the acacia tree, such as those illustrated he

http://tinyurl.com/79a3zha

I gather their usual habitat is in hot places such as the Middle East
and Australia. Does anyone know if one would survive and thrive in
Southern England?

Thank you,

Al

I would expect Acacia to grow in Southern England as I have one
growing in my garden in the North West. I think it's an Acacia
dealbata but I'm not sure.

Steve

That's reassuring - thanks. What colour of blossoms does yours produce? I
see there is one variety: dealbata subalpina that grows high up in snowy
mountain regions! Perhaps that's the one you have.

Al

The blossom colour is yellow, there are several species hardy enough for
short periods but very few survive a proper cold winter, if you want the
look and shape you could try something like Albizia julibrissin but do buy a
decent size tree as they are not so hardy when small and grow rather slowly.

Mine has survived through the last ten or so winters with no problems.
Perhaps you get colder winters in Cornwall. It was only about two foot
high when it was planted and grew fairly slowly for a few years. It
then shot up to about ten foot. It has been kept to that height.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com