Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Harry D Harry D is offline

Default Magnolia Query

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Harry D" wrote in message
Hi,
We have a fairly young magnolia tree in our front garden planted just over
2 years ago which appears healthy and has grown to around 4 feet. When we
planted it there were three tulip shaped flowers on it and the following
year there were fourteen. My problem is that this year it seems it will
not flower at all and it has gone straight to sprouting leaves which I
think previously it did after flowering. I just wonder if there's a
problem with the tree or is it down to position or weather conditions that
have caused this. I live in the south of England so weather conditions
slightly better than up North! I would appreciate any advice given.

Regards

H ... I have commented on here that in my opinion, Magnolias have not done
so well this year. Pretty and some blossom but nowhere near as good as I
have seen before. My daughter and son in law have a massive one, actually
it's three together which form one big tree, is sparse this year. One round
the corner to me at home is usually fantastic, this year? Poor

This is only an observation from a non gardener, but my wife with over 50
years gardening experience has the same opinion.

So? Don't worry :-))

Mike
In the South East part of the Isle of Wight where the sun is still shining.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that, it's good to hear it may be just a bad year!

Harry