Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Acacia trees - Could I grow one in Southern England?

On Apr 4, 11:05*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I have found pictures of a tree whose shape is ideal for my needs - namely
the acacia tree, such as those illustrated he

http://tinyurl.com/79a3zha

I gather their usual habitat is in hot places such as the Middle East and
Australia. *Does anyone know if one would survive and thrive in Southern
England?

Thank you,

Al

The acacia that you saw would be great if the rainfall keeps away from
you, anfd you can cope with thawns up to 6 inches in length,
Umbrella Thorn Acacia
The Umbrella Thorn Acacia grows in Africa. There are over 700 species
of the Acacia in Africa. Umbrella Thorn Acacia is one of the most
recognizable trees of the African savanna. It grows in sand dunes and
rocky grounds of Africa's grasslands. Acacias grow in areas with
annual rainfall as low as 4 cm. This tree can survive in 50°C
temperatures during the day, and freezing temperatures at nights. The
savanna that the Acacias live in is hot and dry in the respective
summer of the Southern Hemisphare although at night the temperature
can go below -18°C. During the winter months the savanna gets a lot of
rain. The Umbrella Thorn grows up to 20 metres high and has a
spreading, flat-tapped crown that gives it its name.