Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Acacia trees - Could I grow one in Southern England?

lannerman wrote in
:

AL_n;954985 Wrote:
I have found pictures of a tree whose shape is ideal for my needs -
namely
the acacia tree, such as those illustrated he

'acacia tree - Google Search' (http://tinyurl.com/79a3zha)

I gather their usual habitat is in hot places such as the Middle East
and
Australia. Does anyone know if one would survive and thrive in Southern

England?

Thank you,

Al

Hi Al. I grow several varieties commercially down here in Cornwall and
from experience, the hardiest in order are, A dealbata, A pravissima, A
longifolia but I hope you realise just how fast they grow ??? A dealbata
can easily grow 15ft in 3 yrs, as can longifolia ! One of the nicest is
Acacia Baileyana (the Cootamunda Wattle) it has beautiful steely blue
foliage, the most deliciously scented 'fluffy' yellow flowers (from
Christmas onwards) and it can be kept relatively small. Regarding soil,
the best variety for alkaline soil is A rhetinoides and whilst quick
growing, it flowers several times during the year and also as a young
tree (A. dealbata will take several years to flower) but its not the
hardiest ! Prior to these recent cold winters, all the above have
thrived down here but it depends on if this colder trend is now the
'norm' Even this year, whilst we only had one really cold spell, it was
quite mild leading upto it and it took the newest growth out of my
Acacias in the garden.
Depending where you are ? why not try growing one in a large tub that
can be moved come winter, or be prepared to wrap the lower
trunk/branches, at least this way, it will come again from the base !
regards, Lannerman.

Hi Lannerman,
It's wonderful to read your expert knowledge on these trees. I wasn't aware
they were so fast-growing, but that makes them even more appealing. What a
shame that the alkaline-tolerant one is not so hardy. I'm in South Dorset,
almost on the beach. Most of the wind comes from the SouthWest and gets
warmed by the gulf stream for most of the Winter. Temperatures never drop
much below 0c. -2 perhaps, occasionally.

Al