Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Feeding strawberry plants. Q

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:32:06 GMT, Baz wrote:

On the south facing brick border we have strawberries with blosson, or is
it flower, nevertheless, is it good to use tomato feed for them? If not,
what to use? Some have already young green strawberries.
This is their second year after planting.

Baz

Early in the year and after they have finished fruiting, I use a
"normal" feed that has a higher nitrogen level as I find this promotes
the leaf (and runner) growth. This goes on as a foliar feed. But from
late March and through the fruiting period, they want less N and more
of the P & K so tomato food is a good choice as it promotes growth of
the fruits. This goes on as a ground feed. Mine are just starting to
produce the little flower buds now.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.