Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Wormeries - pros & cons?

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote in
:

You appear to have confused the amount worms consume, with the
amount of
compost worms produce. IME the amount of compost produced is so
minimal it's not worth the trouble. The largest usable product of
wormeries is the liquid waste , a good liquid fertiliser but no
better than effortless ones such as nettle and comfrey tea.

IMO (and IME of both) any gardener with enough room (and waste) for
compost heap will get a much better worm-return by introducing a
colony of brandlings to it. You only need to do it once and never have
to do any worm care ; and if you know someone with a successful
compost heap they can easily supply you with a handful of brandlings.

Janet

Failing that, would it be worth paying £5 for 100 dendrobaena worms? I have
a compost heap (about 5 cubic meters) the composting process of which, I'd
love to speed up! Whenever I turn it over, I don't find many worms.

Well, I couldn't bring myself to pay a fiver for worms, but YMMV :-)
The only time I ever bought any (fishing shop) they cost £1 for a
potful.

No stables with horse-manure heaps in the neighbourhood? You should
find some in there.

Janet