Old 21-04-2003, 04:34 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default water lily ?

(UK East Anglia)
Lucy,
I just pot my lilies up in aquatic compost with grit on the top to keep the
soil from floating away (standard method for pond plants).
I use the plastic basket type of planter.
They have always grown well without fertilizer - so well I divided one into
two seperate pots last year because it had grown outside the original pot.
Why do you need fertilizer?
My pond is 10 foot by 7 foot 4 inches max (has one corner lopped off) and
has plants, wildlife, goldfish and no filter.
Plants grow, the water is clear, the fish breed.
I run a small fountain in the summer for extra air and the nice sound.
Perhaps I am just lucky with my location, but when I read of adding salt,
potash, filtering, UV treatment etc. I wonder how fish managed before we
came along :-)
HTH
Dave R
wrote in message
last year I aquired a hardy water lily tuber and just tossed it into my
pond. It did get some very small lily pads, no flowers. Yesterday I
noticed that it has 3 new leaves emerging. I would like to pot it up. I
have read in this group that some people use kitty litter. Is there any
particular brand I should buy or would any kitty litter do ? Also, when
should I fertilize the lily ?
Thanks in advance,
Lucy