Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia chrysantha (nitidissima)

On 2012-04-05 12:57:37 +0100, said:

Hi all, new to the forum and enjoying it so much already.
Was just wondering whether anyone in the UK grows this yellow flowered
Camellia species, chrysantha or nitidissima (from China and Vietnam)?
I'd be very interested in a cutting/seedling or two...

I don't think anyone's growing it in this country or if they are,
they're really struggling with it. I emailed Lady Anne Berry about it
because I'd read somewhere or other that she'd had it. She put me in
touch with a Camellia expert in this country who said he didn't know of
anyone who'd grown it successfully and that he thought it would be hard
to grow here, even under glass. I've been trying to find one for some
time. All this was some 6 years ago but there's no sign of it being
for sale in this country that I'm aware of. It's on the list of plants
endangered by loss of habitat.

Have you looked at Sinocalycanthus? It's not the same colour of course
but there's a similarity of form, I think.

You could try asking Nick Macer (Pan-Global Plants) if he is going to
North Vietnam again in the near future. If so, maybe he could get some
seeds or cuttings.

Or you could look at the top of page 21 here (NB 19Mb download!):
http://www.nucciosnurseries.com/images/nuccios.pdf
Also see Page 29. As a commercial nursery importing may be easier for
you than individuals.

--

Jeff