Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Pot plants on balcony

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm looking for free advice (again),
this time on recommendations for pot plants or shrubs
(or even small trees?) to grow in very large pots (terracotta)
on a balcony in Tuscany.

Also if anyone has advice (or a pointer) on the best way
to set up plants in pots I would be very grateful,
eg what kind of compost, should fertilizer be added
(I don't adhere to the organic religion), etc.

Yucca did really well on our balcony in Felixstowe.
I would assume any palm type thing would.

For really big pots I would suggest John Innes No. 3 (or topsoil) mixed with
Grobags and some manure - gives you the weight of soil, a bit of lightening
from the compost, and plenty of food from the (well rotted) manure.
Some Growmore and some chicken manure mixed in and you have an all purpose
mix.
You can cover the surface of the compost, around the tree, with large stones
which adds weight to the pot and preserves moisture (and prevents cats using
it as a convenient convenience).

I assume you want drought hardy trees/shrubs which can be left for a few
weeks without watering?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)