Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Wormeries - pros & cons?

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

You don't need to buy any, just put the right materials in a
container and they will find their own way there. It doesn't happen
overnight, though - just be patient, and once they colonise your
containers they will multiply very quickly.

Make sure at least part of your compost bin is on soil and also keep
it wet. Watering can if needed.

Mike

Good idea - thanks. I removed the tarp from my compost heap today and did a
bit of turning and wetting. By all accounts the composting champions seem
to be the ants! Where they have colonised part of the heap, it costists of
the finest loam one could ever wish for. I also saw a big juicy frog and a
lizard! Most of the hoss poo is buried deep, in contact with terra firma,
so hopefully the worms are doing their work down there.

Al