Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Feeding strawberry plants. Q

Jake wrote in
:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:40:58 GMT, Baz wrote:

What made you stop growing veg?

I'm sure I posted about this a while back. The veg patch in the garden
was always getting waterlogged and so I zapped it at the end of 2010
and, last year, went shares with someone on an allotment. Actually it
was his allotment (taken on "new") and I gave him half the rent and
paid for half of the stuff that went in there. Then got shafted as it
turned out I did most of the work and he did most of the harvesting!

Well, you find out who your friends are!

Anyhow, I was hoping that he'd give it up and I could sneak in and
take it over. But he paid this year's rent and then asked me to go
halves with him again. I un-politely told him where to go. Upshot is
after two warning letters he's been chucked off the site but I've been
told that I have to join the queue now as people know I'm no longer
involved in the plot.

Is it too late to argue your case, tell the local council exactly what
you have said here? Some council personnel are understanding and want to
help, sadly there are others who like to hinder. Luck of the draw.

Good luck with your £1.99 apple tree. Chances are it'll probably turn
out well. I have something in a smallish pot that I was given by
someone last year. They didn't know what it was and I don't yet. But
it's blossoming and I guess it's a currant of some sort. I think I'd
better get it into something bigger but won't ground plant until I
know what it is, just in case!

My view with currants is only blackcurrents, red and yellow only make
jello, and it cost me money to find that out from T&M who charged me
£17.99 to get to that conclusion.(in my first stupid year gardening)

Enjoy the rain! Round here there are plans to put up rain recognition
notices so people will know it's rain when it comes and won't panic.
But the reservoirs are near capacity and we have a local underground
source that has never dried up in living memory. Water pressure is
c**p though.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.

Rain? Loads of it here.
Baz