Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Aloe Vera cuttings

On 2012-04-05, BlackThumb wrote:

'Adam Funk[_3_ Wrote:
;955109']On 2012-04-04, David WE Roberts wrote:
-

"BlackThumb" wrote in message
...-

Hello,

I bought some pumpkin seeds, forgetting that my mum is already going
grow vegetables in the garden.

I was wondering if they could be grown in pots? It seems that you can,
going by websites, but not much information is given, so I was hoping
for a better opinion.--
-
Can be done in a big pot but may not be particularly successful - we
grew
one plant last year but only got very small pumpkins.
Probably lack of proper feeding but they do require a lot of food.-

We grew some pumpkin plants in a container last year. The first batch
of seedlings got slugged, so the second batch started a bit late in
the season. We ended up with one pumpkin which looked like a marrow
on the outside (although it was orange inside). I'm planning to try
again though.

That's a shame they didn't work out. I guess I won't be able to grow
them. I'll see if a friend has space to plant them.

Well, I think they would've worked better if we had taken better
anti-slug precautions. (I'm planning to use Growing Success pellets
more diligently this year before the first Nemaslug delivery.)

However, I have seen warnings in gardening books that pumpkins are
picky about containers (ISTR they need larger ones than you would
expect), although we have more success for vegetables generally in
containers than in the ground.