Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Regarding soil, the best variety for alkaline soil is A rhetinoides and whilst quick growing, it flowers several times during the year and also as a young tree (A. dealbata will take several years to flower) but its not the hardiest !.
That's spelled A. retinodes. I tried one (was given it) in S Bucks but the frost killed it even before those two really nasty winters. It just didn't get going in the growing season either, during the 3 years I had it, so I think you need a nice warm spot for it.