Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default planting spuds

"John Price" wrote
Still very new to this - have just finished double digging a strip of
ground, 5metres by 1 metre, runs north to south. Plan is to divide it
in 3 for rotation purposes. I want to start by planting maincrop
potatoes(Cara) in a third of it. I see varying advice about the
recommended distances between tubers and rows. What would your advice
be for the orientation of the rows, and planting positions?

5 sq metres, thats 15 ft by 3 ft in old money so each bed is 5ft x 3ft.
So, at 1.5 ft spacing and 2.5ft between rows I suggest one row of 4 spuds
straight down the middle.

My small allotment (7.5 sq rods) is 187.5 sq metres and other than permanent
planting is divided in a 4 year rotation. One quarter is spuds, so say 30 sq
metres of spuds. Personally with such a tiny plot I would only have planted
earlies (expensive) and not bothered with maincrop (cheap) at all.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK