View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2012
Default Herb Garden In Pots - Timing Question

Hello

I have a specific beginner's question regarding a herb garden I am trying to start in containers in the UK (North-West England). I have recently bought the herbs listed below in pots from the garden centre. I plan to grow them in a sunny yard in troughs. I have assimilated some knowledge as to what I should be doing, but some of it is taking time to piece together. I believe that I may have bought these plants a few weeks too early, as the last frost in my area is late April/early May. I would like to ask for suggestions as to what I should do at this point, and answers may be species specific if possible. I have 3 basic options to choose from.

1) Leave the plants in their original pots. Keep them indoors at a window and watered (with good drainage) until the frost date, then transfer to troughs and put them outside.
2) Transfer the plants from their pots to the trough right now, then keep them inside until the frost date.
3) Transfer the plants from their pots to the trough right now and put the trough outside.

Rosemary
Thyme
Mint
Sage
Chives
Parsley
Bay (Kitchen Bay)
Marjoram
Oregano
French Tarragon
Dill
Rocket