Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default What is it?

On 07/04/2012 10:49, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message
, NT
writes
I thought it was mallow, but soon realised its not. The plant hs the
same habit & size as mallow, but the leaf outline's something
different. The leaf stalks are red.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2le4evd.jpg

By just showing the leaves you haven't given us many cues. From the
leaves I would lean towards Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard), but red
leaf stalks are not normal for that.

(The leaves are insufficiently crenate for Glechoma hederacea (ground
ivy), and lack the acute apex of Lunaria annua (honesty).)

Before I looked at the photo, I though it was going to turn out to be a
Geranium (perhaps Geranium lucidum), as they have leaf outlines
reminiscent of a mallow, and often have red leaf stalks.

Thanks
NT

I wondered about Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) or Winter Heliotrope
(Petasites fragrans), but I'm sure there's something else knawing at the
back of my brain. As you say, more to go on would help, plus a sense
of scale.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London