Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Asparagus, Rhubarb and Spinach

On Apr 8, 7:57*am, The Cook wrote:
The garden is now producing asparagus, rhubarb and spinach. *The
rhubarb has gone into a cake, and two varieties of jelly. *So far we
are eating the asparagus and spinach either raw or just cooked fairly
plain. *A couple of neighbors have gotten asparagus.

The beets, chard, cabbage, broccoli and lettuce are doing fine.
Average last frost for the area is April 11. *Think I will wait a bit
longer than that before setting out the tomatoes. *The county
extension agent also said that peppers and eggplants need soil
temperatures of 70°F before they do much of anything except just "sit
and pout." *Guess I will wait even longer before setting them out.

The squash, cukes, melons, etc are sprouting in the greenhouse. *Think
I will start a few more things that have occurred to me. *I saw a
picture of "Black Sea Man" tomato and since I have a pack of seeds for
it, think I will set out a couple. *I also need to start some okra and
I noticed I forgot to start a variety of pepper that I like to have.
Back to the greenhouse.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Have you had good luck starting the squash and cukes in the greenhouse
and transplanting? What do you start them in? I haven't any luck at
all. In fact I have tried 3 times in the last month or so to get some
started and they wont even germinate. I brought them in the house and
they still didn't so I am assuming bad seeds.
The good news is the zucchini I started back in January is full of
flowers