Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Amber jelly on evergreen shrub

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 16:52:56 +0000, Blenny wrote:

Hoping for some help please! I moved recently to a house with a
carefully-planned mature garden, which I'm trying to care for properly
but I'm not familiar with some of the plants. I noticed today that a big
low spreading Juniper-like shrub has got amber coloured blobs of jelly
all over it and it seems to be dying. The heather next to it also seems
to be mostly dead. What do I do?? Picture attached.

Are there purple-brown lumpy things under the amber? I can't get a close
enough look to be sure, but it looks like it might be cedar apple rust
to me, http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...pm.asp?code=28
or another Gymnosporangium.

I think you might want to be thinking about a different species to replace it
with, as it does indeed seem to be on its way out from any of many possible
causes. Here are a couple of possibilities:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3056.html
and drought, and severe cold following a dry winter, and dog urine.

|Filename: ST835685a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14872|