Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Blenny Blenny is offline
Registered User

Location: Stafford area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Lancaster View Post
On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 16:52:56 +0000, Blenny wrote:

... a big low spreading Juniper-like shrub has got amber coloured blobs of jelly all over it and it seems to be dying ...

Are there purple-brown lumpy things under the amber? I can't get a close
enough look to be sure, but it looks like it might be cedar apple rust
to me,
MBG Integrated Pest Management
or another Gymnosporangium.

I think you might want to be thinking about a different species to replace it
with, as it does indeed seem to be on its way out from any of many possible
causes. Here are a couple of possibilities:
Phomopsis and Kabatina Tip Blights of Junipers, HYG-3056-96
and drought, and severe cold following a dry winter, and dog urine.

|Filename: ST835685a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14872|

Thanks, Kay - I think you're right! There seem to be small orange lumps at the base. The trouble is a) it's a big "architectural" feature so I was hoping to save it and b) I also have lots of hawthorn and roses and I gather from the web it can spread to those. I had plans to pick off all the blobs, maybe under a plastic sheet to stop them spreading, but there are just too many and too inaccessible. Removing the shrub might also spread the spores. Do you know any effective fungicides I could spray on?